A project manager who loves reading is at a great advantage. There is a lot to read when you are a project manager: The contract (you better read it!), progress reports, emails, change requests, specs, etc etc.
In addition to what a project manager has to read for projects work, there is reading to learn and build knowledge. I believe everything a project manager reads can help build knowledge, even fiction, and I am not referring to rigged progress reports here 🙂
There are books that a project manager must read. Here are ten that a Project Manager is missing a lot if missed any of them:
– PMBOK, latest edition (fifth as of today)
– The Four Agreements, Miguel Ruiz
– The five temptations of a CEO (or manager for the european version, but it is the same book), Patrick Lencioni
– The One Minute Manager, Kenneth Blanchard & Spencer Johnson
– Winning, Jack Welch
– Art of War, Sun Tzu
– On Being a leader, Warren Bennis
– The Goal, Eli Goldratt
– WoW Projects, Tom Peters
– Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning,
Scheduling, and Controlling Harold, Ph.D. Kerzner.